Friday, April 11, 2008

One year old

My baby girl turned one last week. I don't remember it being so hard when the first two turned one. But I'm sure it's because I know deep down that this will be my last first birthday party. Seeing her grow up is bittersweet. I love every new thing she's learning, every new smile and expression, even the screaming...but at the same time I miss that tiny little bundle in my arms, the way she would sleep on my chest with that little baby bootie sticking up in the air. And now she feeds herself (sort of) and gets around all over the place. Where did my baby go? I baked a cake from scratch for the very first time, and it was even pretty good. It had fresh strawberries on top. Sarah seemed to enjoy it.



On Saturday we had a party for her at our house, somewhat small, just family and a few close friends. It was just perfect. She opened her presents, ate her cake, then crashed. I think the best part was watching her let Misha lick the frosting off of her fingers!

She got plenty of clothes for the summer, lots of new toys for her to enjoy, but mostly just got to be the center of attention for a while.


Trying on a new hat from Gigi.




Lots of excitement over Uncle Nathan's cool present!




A very good friend made a beautiful first birthday cake for my sweetheart. It was perfectly coordinated to the decorations and made with much care and love. And then it was time to dig in and get messy!









The day was great.
By the time it was all over, everyone was tired. I've always thought that my baby's first birthday is really an anniversary for me, that I made it a whole year with a new little life in my care, and we both came through. But she's made some pretty big accomplishments too, just in learning who she is. And though it makes me a little sad to know that my baby isn't such a tiny little one anymore, I am so excited to watch her turn into her own little person with a will of her own...and quite a stubborn one, too!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh my gosh! 1 year old already and I missed 99% of her first year...but we'll be back soon! She's so adorable. Happy Birthday and congratulations (Carrie) on making it through the first year!

Here's the latest from our family.