Thursday, May 8, 2008

Baseball, Guilt, and Kids



It seems like my life is consumed with baseball lately. It must be the combination of Caleb and Chase both being involved on the team, their slight obsession with the Angels, and Emma's current interest in t-ball. Even Sarah was trying to pick up the bat today at Caleb's game. And I'm sure that all of Caleb's baseball pictures are looking more or less the same, but nevertheless, here are a few highlights of today's game.




Saturday should be interesting, though. In honor of Mother's Day, the moms are being given a "diamond" - a baseball diamond that is. Yup, we've been given the privilege of coaching the team for Saturday's game. Three of us took on the challenge, and yes, I am one of them. I'll have to let you know later how that goes. =)




Besides baseball, the other time-consumer in my life is work. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have a job that I really enjoy and that allows me hours that still leave time for my kids when I get home, but I still can't get around the guilt. On Wednesday Emma had a special Mother's Day tea at preschool, but I had to work. Tomorrow Caleb is singing at school in their Mother's Day performance, but again, I have to go to work. He was so excited to tell me about the songs they were going to sing and it broke my heart to tell him I couldn't go. Thankfully, Laurie (Chase's mom) was able to go with Emma, and will be there for Caleb. But it's still not me there.




And then today Laurie asked me if Sarah had made any steps for me yet. Nope, not yet. But she has taken a little step twice when Laurie was over (while I was at work.) My mind immediately told me "those steps don't count, they were just tiny" but I fully know that if I had been there, they totally would have counted.




I have felt guilty off and on for working ever since Caleb was born, but it seems even worse now. I just feel like even though I go to every single game for Caleb, and almost every special event for Emma, it's never really enough. Will I ever feel like I'm giving them enough?




On a lighter note, here are a few snapshots from this week. I got a new lens for my camera and two books to read to help me learn a little more about photography. I'm having fun playing around with my camera. All I really want to be able to do is take some better pics of the kids. (Thanks Debbie, for inspiring me once again. I'd read a few books before, but now I feel like I'm actually learning some stuff!)




On to Friday and the weekend! Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there. Let's enjoy our day with no guilt, okay?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Guilt is a lie you shouldn't buy into. Even me who stays home has guilt over things. I think you can never win so just do the best you can with what you have. I even feel guilty I don't spend enough time with my kids because of housework and other things. We can't be supermom but we can be a loving mom. You are one of the best mom's I know so don't beat yourself up!

Here's the latest from our family.