Friday, July 24, 2009

Yosemite

This past week we spent our family vacation tent camping in Yosemite. It was the first real vacation we've had in three years! It was so wonderful to get out there and everything was beautiful. Hot, but still beautiful. Thankfully, in Yosemite you can't go too far without some trees, so we had constant shade and we cooled off each afternoon in the ice-cold Merced river.

Undoubtedly, though, the best part of our vacation was a real bear encounter! The first day we arrived, we headed over towards Yosemite Falls. As soon as we started heading toward the falls, another couple were walking the other direction and told us they spotted a bear. We couldn't pass that opportunity, so we grabbed Sarah out of the stroller so we could walk quietly and headed the direction of the bear. We saw it! A smaller bear that was brown with tufts of blond sticking out of it. He turned around and started walking back the other direction, and he spotted our stroller. He was sniffing around it and smelled the wipes in the little basket in back of it. We saw him pawing at them, and after a minute or so, Chase started clapping loudly to scare it off (it was only our first day, we needed the stroller!)

Later that day, as I was changing Sarah, I grabbed the wipes case and noticed two little puncture marks on it! The bear had bit through the wipes case! What an exciting first day of vacation!




3 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so glad you had a great time at Yosemite!!! I know you've been looking forward to this for awhile now.

I do have to say, however, that your bear encounter would not have been quite so "fun" for me. I would have been freaking out! That's the only thing I have against tent camping, that I don't feel protected enough from the bears!

But glad you enjoyed it! :)

Unknown said...

what a memory for your family and a great story. I love that the bear chewed on the wipes.

grandma said...

I'm glad you were able to get reservations for Yosemite and that you had such a great time. Caleb and Emma will always remember that trip.

Grandma

Here's the latest from our family.