Tuesday, July 7, 2009

letting go...

I'm sitting here in the dark, late at night, fighting off a fit of coughing, and thinking about my old couch. We've had it since Chase and I got married, actually a few months before we married, which makes it over eleven years old. I think that's pretty old for a couch, at least from what you hear about "quality not being what it used to be." It's withstood a lot. I've spent a lot of time on it, two pregnancies (got through the third with a new recliner...my back was just so achy!), three babies, two rounds of potty training (working on round three!) and plenty of movie nights.

One side of it is so smushed down (Chase's spot) that the kids and I would sink in if we sat there. The back cushions are held together with fishing line and safety pins (my attempts at repair work). The white stuffing is leaking out of the back. It's a bit small for a family of five, always someone complaining of being squished. And there are so many crumbs deep down there that I imagine a flock of birds could feast for a month!

And yet I was sad as the delivery men yanked our our old couch and left it in front of the garage, then graciously unloaded the huge new sterile sectional that will take over the role as family gathering place.

I can remember like yesterday one quiet evening just before Christmas, Caleb was about six weeks old, laying on that couch in the light of the Christmas tree with this sleeping newborn, and treasuring the moment. I can remember a late night when Emma, about 8 months old, wouldn't go to sleep and she climbed all over Chase. who was laying on the couch. And most recently, though already two years ago, I can still see Caleb and Emma squished together on the middle cushion as they shared the boppy which contained their new baby sister.

As I saw my old couch being replaced, I was almost ready to tell the delivery men to take the new one back and put everything back the way it was. But I didn't.

This new couch is quite big. It takes up most the front room. Much of our playing space on the floor is gone. BUT, all five of us can comfortably sit on it, which is very important on Survivor night. Sarah is not so content to be on someone's lap anymore, so we really did need a place we'd all fit on. And today, while Sarah slept, Caleb, Emma and I sat on the new couch and I taught them how to play rummy. The kids love the new couch, with plenty of room to sprawl out; no sentimentality wasted on them. And I know there will be new memories.

But I think I'll sneak out to the garage and save a bit of that stuffing that's poking out of the hole in the back of the cushion!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have bought new couches but still have our old couches upstairs. I know what you mean about all the memories that are made on them. We have a small loveseat that I used to call "The Conner and Mommy" couch. We would take all his naps on that couch when he was a baby.

Maybe you could make some pillows out of the fabric? to go with the stuffing :) What a sweet blog.

Carrie said...

Thanks Julie, I knew you would understand!

Here's the latest from our family.