Monday, November 3, 2008

Yes on 8

Since tomorrow is the big day, and my friend Julie's blog inspired me to vent a bit, there's just something I've got to get out there. It is driving me crazy hearing those commercials out there by CTA that say "California teachers are for equal rights...that's why they say vote no on prop 8." Well I am a member of that union. I am a California teacher. I do support equal rights. But I think the definition of marriage is a man and a woman. I don't think that denies anyone rights. I think it simply keeps marriage as what it was intended to be. But that's not my point.

My point is, why is my union, whose dues I pay into, promoting a proposition that has nothing to do with education. True, if it does go down, there may be some stories in books that talk about a dad and a dad, and that's not what I want my kids exposed to. Nor is that what I want to share with my students. In fact, chances are, if that story were in my text book, I'd skip it. Simple.
But still, I digress.

Why is my union using my money to promote something that not only do I full NOT support, but that they have no business being in anyways? They tell us that our dues only go to political support if we request them to go that way. But then they blanket all teachers under their campaign.

So I just had to get that off my chest. And I want to let you know that when the next school year comes around, I am leaving my union. If they're not representing my point of view, then I don't need them!

No comments:

Here's the latest from our family.